My Blog List

Friday, January 13, 2012

9th Grade Health Class...am I ready for this?

"A birth control pill for men, that's fair.  It makes more sense to take the bullets out of the gun than to wear a bulletproof vest."  ~Author Unknown

A couple days ago my 14 year old daughter told me that a public health nurse came to their 9th grade health class. "She told us about the 15 methods of birth control available."
Wait, what?
There are 15 methods of birth control available?
That's amazing to me. When I was in high school we had the Holy Trinity of birth control:
The Pill
Condoms
And the Pull & Pray method (also affectionately known as Catholic Roulette)
I think our mothers had IUDs, but no one our age even really knew what an IUD was.
Nowadays there are more options for birth control than ever before.
When I was 15 a few of us decided to go on the Pill. Now keep in mind, there was absolutely no reason for me to go on birth control at that time...I'm not even sure I had let a boy get to second base by then. But it didn't matter... my friends were going to do it so I did, too.
Since my mom was a nurse at the River Falls Medical Clinic, I knew I had to go somewhere else. My friends and I decided to go to a clinic in Hastings, Minnesota. We had our exams and then walked out of there with a 12 month prescription for the pill.
One year later, my prescription was done. The pharmacist told me that he could no longer give me anymore until I had another prescription from my doctor. I shrugged, because truthfully it didn't matter if my prescription ran out. I had absolutely no use to be on the pill. The novelty had worn off.
And then, for reasons still unknown, that pharmacist decided to call my doctor to let him know that my prescription was done. Only he didn't call my doctor in Hastings, Minnesota. He got confused and called the River Falls Medical Clinic instead. He got a nurse on the phone and announced, "I'm calling about Vanessa Simonet's birth control prescription."
Yep, you guessed it. My mom was that nurse.
Talk about busted.
I'm fairly certain that pharmacist would be in gross violation of some HIPAA policy now, but back then it was just an unfortunate circumstance.
With one daughter in high school already, this birth control issue is coming up faster than I thought it would. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was picking out Barney pajamas for her. Now the choices are much more complicated. And the possible ramifications are a lot more serious.
This parenting thing is so tough. I wish someone would clue me in on the perfect balance of helping your teenager make mature decisions and also enforcing expectations and boundaries with them.
This fall my 14 year old and I were hiking and I told her, "I promise I'll take you to go on the Pill when you want, but you have to promise me you'll still be smart about things and always use condoms, too."
She rolled her eyes and walked ahead of me. "Mom! You've been saying that for as long as I can remember. I told you I would."
I hurried to catch up. "That's good, honey. Because you know what they say... you gotta wrap it before you tap it. You gotta cover your stump before you hump."
She looked at me, horrified. "Stop it!"
Yes! Score one for Mom Mortification.
So I will do my best to keep the doors of communication open with my children. I will hope and pray that they will come to me with questions and more. I honestly don't know how I'll react when they do, because in my mind they're always be the sweet little toddler sitting on my lap.
And I promise...if they're mature enough to come to me for assistance...I'll try to be mature, too and do everything in my power to NOT leave them a note that says "It'll be sweeter if he wraps his peter."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa, We've never met but I'm a friend of Shawn & Jessica's. I found your post when Shawn shared it a while back. I absolutely look forward to your witty humor, role as a parent and how you take on life. I am a mother of a take care, know it all, six year old girl. I've learned much from you as a I'm a wing-it type of mom. I think I'm prepared, but then enlightened that I don't have a clue. I've learned much from your shared experiences, so thank you.
    So that 9th grade talk is envitable? Well crap...I'll never be ready for that, but hopefully like you at least I'll be the best open and you can talk to me mom that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That really means a lot to hear that. Good luck in the parenting...have wine ready. :)
      Vanessa

      Delete