My Blog List

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Champagne, Sequins and Resolutions

"Cheers to a New Year and another chance for us to get it right." ~ Oprah Winfrey

Ever since I can remember, New Years Eve has always been one of my most favorite nights. One time in the early 80's I spent New Years Eve at my cousin Chanda's house, and we burned up the phone lines to KDWB and begged them to play "Mickey" at the stroke of midnight. When they actually did, we jumped up and down screaming, convinced we had altered the history of pop culture somehow. There we were, surrounded by balloons and our card games, with smug smiles on our faces. Damn, we knew how to party.
Fast forward several years and I still love everything this night brings.
Just going through the racks at the stores, looking at all the sequined shirts, blinged out jewelry and accessories gives me chills. It's one of the few nights of the year that my alter ego "Excess Vaness" can wear the glitz to her hearts content.
I think another reason why I love tonight so much is the fact that tomorrow brings a whole new year, a brand new beginning. We can all start anew. Whether we keep our resolutions or not, just making them can  fill us with hope.
In the past, I've done all the typical resolutions...
Lose weight
Join a gym
Eat more vegetables
Yell at my kids less
And truth be told, those resolutions were usually squashed by the second week of January.
This year, I am going to declare more meaningful resolutions. I'm going to work hard at things that might hopefully have a chance at lasting longer than Ground Hog's Day.
I am going to bake with more butter and less margarine.
I am going to try and not swear on the same days I go to church.
I am going to have dinner with my grandma Tillie at least once a month.
When I'm with my kids, I'm going to be with my kids. I'll let them teach me how to play some of their board games and video games.
I'm going to read more of what the Republicans say. I already know what my side, the lefties, have to say.
I'm going to do at least two crazy activities with my dad.
I'm going to learn to cook some of my mom's recipes.
I'm going to try and curb my tendencies to hold up my daughters' bras and call them little slingshots. At least in front of their friends.
I'm going to make sure my friends know how much they mean to me.
And most importantly, I'm going to enjoy what life has to throw my way. Because that's what it's all about, right? Getting a good story out of it.
So cheers to you, and cheers to us. And as Oprah says, here's to another chance at getting it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment