My Blog List

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Friendships, Drama and Duran Duran

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think parents of middle-school students, especially daughters, should get some type of merit badge. Something along the lines of a patch with a cell phone, lap top and the saying "I Survived Middle School Drama And Only Developed 2 Facial Tics in the Process."
I love my daughters, I really do, but I admittedly struggle when they're going on and on about the latest friendship dispute and/or boyfriend trouble.
"...and then oh my god, I am totally not even kidding when I tell you this..."
"...seriously, she just thinks she can tell all my friends that I can't keep a secret, when MOM - you KNOW I CAN..."
"...and now he's sending me messages on Facebook because he likes me again, but he is a total player..."
What? Huh? He's 12.
It's so different from when my young son comes to me with drama.
"He wasn't throwing the football back to me so I just came home."
Oh. Ok. Easy enough to understand.
I struggle with when to tell my daughters to work it out with their friends, and when I feel they should just move on. My own middle-school years seem really far away, but I am still friends with women I met before I even picked up my first Judy Blume book.
One time a friend of mine told me: "You know what, Vanessa? You never burn any bridges."
I wasn't exactly sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing, so I just mumbled a quick "thanks." Now I know my life has been made infinitely richer because of all the friends I have acquired, from the early 70's on.
I'm grateful to them for so many different reasons.
I have a friend that thought I was a boy when we first met at the age of 5 because my hair was so short. Years later she introduced me to Bad Boys Who Drove Trucks and Lived in Ellsworth.
I have friends I met in elementary school  ~ we bonded through our love of Charlie's Angels and Duran Duran. Now we Skype with each other and swap recipes.
I have friends I met at college  ~ we trudged through snow to get to class (or stay in the dorms and smoke, um, stuff...). Now we compare photos of our kids and complain about wrinkles.
I have friends that I've met at the (probably too many) jobs I've had since college ~ we've gone to happy hours and weddings and even followed each other to new jobs.
I have friends I met through pure chance and circumstance, like Girl Scout meetings and school concerts.
I don't think it matters how we meet our friends or at what stage of life they enter ours. Sometimes it's just meant to be. Fate has a way of bringing into your life people that you need at just the right time.
I am blessed to call all of them my friends. They've been there for me in the highlights of my life ~ my great achievements and happiest of moments. They've been there when things just suck ass, too ~ losing my job, then my house, and my impending divorce.
Regardless of the time between visits or calls, it's like sliding on a pair of your favorite jeans. Everything fits where it's supposed to.
Friends like that are rare... they know where all the bodies are buried.
So when I think about these lifelong friendships I've been blessed with, maybe I should be a little more patient with my girls and their "drama."
I'm sure the girls from Prescott Middle School and I used to fight all the time in the early 80's about who was cuter: John Taylor or Simon Lebon. I probably pestered my mother relentlessly: "Like, ohmigod Mom, John Taylor is fersure the cuter one. AS IF anyone would pick Simon..."
And as she undoubtedly would feign interest, she was probably thinking to herself: "Oh for crying out loud... why is this even being debated? Who cares? Now Paul and Ringo... THERE'S a couple of boys worth fighting over."

No comments:

Post a Comment