My Blog List

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

That Time of Year Again...

As I look around the entry way to our house where the kids stash their supplies, I can't help but notice that (finally!) the winter coats, boots and snow pants have gradually been replaced with spring jackets and flip flops. While this makes me happy on many levels, it also means one thing that I dread every year: Summer Break is almost upon us.
I know there are many parents out there who absolutely love it when school is out for the year. They love it when their kids have at least 12 hours of schedule-free fun in front of them. They love that there are three months of the kids being home all day.
Let me be clear - I am not one of those parents.
I've always worked outside the home, and have almost always had a somewhat lengthy commute. During the school year, this allows me to be able to be fully engaged at my job during the day... and not wonder what kind of mischief my kids are getting into with minimal supervision. Aside from just a couple summers, we've never been able to afford to put all four kids into a licensed daycare/preschool program. We've usually gotten by with hiring a teenager to come in and help out. And while this definitely has its perks (mostly in the way of saving money) it also has its drawbacks. For instance, their "friends" will stop by to hang out and raid our fridge. Have you ever seen the damage a group of three 15-year old girls can do a week's supply of groceries in a matter of a half hour?
It's not pretty.
This summer my oldest will be 14 and will be watching the younger ones. As with the beginning of every summer, I will begin with the best intentions. I will sign them up for some local Parks & Rec activities. I will create an elaborate Chore Chart, complete with areas to check off what they're assigned each day. I will sit them all down for my annual "Expectations and Responsibilities" speech, and narrow my eyes and lower my voice to show I MEAN BUSINESS if things aren't done to my satisfaction. I will warn them about the dangers of hiking in the woods alone, and ignoring suspicious people in the park. I will implore them to use sunscreen diligently and without fail. I will plead with them to be nice to each other, and clean up after themselves so I don't come home to a scene from "Animal House."
They will do all that I ask for approximately two full days. After that all bets are off.
I will come home to cereal bowls with old milk sitting on the counter.
To a dog who hasn't been let out since I went to work.
To a living room that bears the evidence of some type of marshmallow experiment.
To four sunburned children who tell me they used up all the sunscreen already.
To four bicycles strewn about the driveway, just ready to be driven over by a car.
To mysterious neighborhood kids in my kitchen, all invited in because apparently we're handing out dozens of free Freezie Pops to anyone who asks.
To a hand-constructed Pyramid of Rocks that were all dragged in from outside because the kids wanted to create a sculpture.
To a bathroom sink mysteriously full of shaving cream and jello.
It is these things that make me go straight to the fridge and pour myself a drink after work.
Don't get me wrong, there are so many things I love about summer vacation - taking the kids to the beach, going on bike rides, picnics in the park, letting the kids sleep in most mornings... It's all the other stuff that makes me develop a twitch in my eye.
But this summer, in the spirit of wanting my kids "to have a kids summer" and also wanting them to not act like little uncontrolled heathens, I vow to do better. I will be firmer, more organized, more diligent of keeping their little minds and bodies occupied.
I mean it.
Because come August, school won't be able to come soon enough. I'll be ready to take a bath with a toaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment